1. Strategic Planning - defining the Foundation's values and setting out its mission and vision; i.e., what the Foundation wants to accomplish in the years ahead.
2. Finances - ensuring financial responsibility and accountability of the Foundation by:
- Approving the budget and overseeing financial reports and controls
- Contracting for an independent audit
- Controlling investments of capital assets (the endowment funds)
- Making prudent decisions in distributing the Foundation's granting funds
3. Executive Director - selecting, compensating, evaluating, and if necessary, dismissing the Executive Director.
4. Oversight and Support - overseeing and evaluating all operations and programs of the Foundation; supporting the Executive Director and staff; and advocating for the Foundation in the community.
5. Fund Raising - assisting in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of prospective major supporters.
6. Board Effectiveness - regularly assessing the Board's effectiveness by ensuring diligent attention to attendance and participation of its own membership, freedom from conflict of interest, and adherence to a code of ethics.