The First West Foundation is governed by a dedicated Board of Directors who set the strategic priorities and oversee the operations of the Foundation. The Board is committed to modeling the highest standards of accountability and are responsible for enacting effective Governance practices.
The Board's principal duties fall into six main categories:
- Strategic Planning - defining the Foundation's values and setting out its mission and vision; i.e., what the Foundation wants to accomplish in the years ahead.
- Finances - ensuring financial responsibility and accountability of the Foundation by:
- Approving the budget and overseeing financial reports and controls
- Contracting for an independent audit
- Controlling investments of capital assets (the endowment funds)
- Making prudent decisions in distributing the Foundation's granting funds
- Executive Director - selecting, compensating, evaluating, and coaching the Executive Director.
- Oversight and Support - overseeing and evaluating all operations and programs of the Foundation; supporting the Executive Director and staff; and advocating for the Foundation in the community.
- Fund Raising - assisting in the identification, cultivation, and solicitation of prospective major supporters.
- Board Effectiveness - regularly assessing the Board's effectiveness by ensuring diligent attention to attendance and participation of its own membership, freedom from conflict of interest, and adherence to a code of ethics.